Saturday, August 4, 2012

Fabric Stiffener DIY

I needed fabric stiffener, but didn't have any.

I didn't really need much. And being cheap I set out to find a DIY recipe for fabric stiffener.

I googled, naturally.

I found two alternatives. One based with sugar, the other with glue.

I went with glue.

You mix glue and cold water in equal amounts, I read. But it just wasn't the right consistency.

I ended up adding more glue, probably about half the amount I added the first time.

Sorry for the inaccurate measurements, but that's the way I do recipes. In the mad scientist lab and in the kitchen. A pinch here, a dash there, until I get the right flavor. Or in this case, the right consistency.

It did work.

And being impatient as well as cheap, I ended up microwaving my fabric to get it to dry faster.

That also worked.

No way was I in the mood to wait idly by until it dried on it's own. I did, however, give it an hour before I got in a hurry.

I put it in my microwave for 30 second intervals until it was nice and dry.

*should you try this part at home, be mindful of the fabric's flammability. I used a lace in this instance and it was non-combustible. You will, however, hear a Pop, Pop, Popping sound in the very beginning. Like bacon grease popping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment